What is phishing and how can I avoid it?We fight fraud aggressively and occurrences of fraud on our website are extremely rare. Still, it’s important to understand what phishing is and how to spot it.
Phishing is a form of email fraud where the sender tries to access personal details by posing as a reputable person or company. These scams can affect any industry, person or organization that operates online.
In the vacation rental industry, fraudsters aim to trick homeowners and property managers into revealing login details to gain control of their accounts. Fortunately, these emails are uncommon and easily spotted.Look out for the following:
- Incorrect grammar, spelling or unusually formal language
- A request to provide payment through bank transfer or wire transfer (even if it’s to a ‘TripAdvisor’ bank account) – we never ask for payment by bank or wire transfer
- An email sent to your personal email address that doesn’t also appear in your TripAdvisor Rentals account inbox
- A request to share your personal details, including social media accounts
- Emails that encourage you to “click on the following link”
Have any questions or need more clarification? Check our security checklist for more helpful examples.
Think you’ve received a phishing email? Let us know on firstname.lastname@example.org